Sunday, June 29, 2008

Figment* 2008

Figment, if you haven't heard, was a three-day participatory arts festival that just ended on Governor's Island, NYC. It was a 100% volunteer by a whole lot of people who like art and wackieness.

Yesterday I greeted people in Manhattan all day. At one point there was a line back to the Staten Island Ferry, which proves that NYC likes art and wackiness too. Actually there was a mixture of people, a number of whom didn't realize that the boat they were lined up for offered up a colorful festival on the other side. Some of whom used to live on the island... some who wanted to see Eliasson's waterfalls... some who thought they were going to the Statue of Liberty. There were also plenty of people with costumes and glittery things. Only one guy asked me for a hug.

I heard that 5000 people came over. Having done all that work blasting press releases it was nice seeing an impact. At the end of the day I took the last ferry over. Drenching rain followed quickly.

Today I planned to go over early to experience all the awesomeness I've been touting for the past few weeks first hand. Lingering over brunch, I managed to hop a boat at the still respectable 1:30 pm. And quickly the rain began. Then ebbed, then rained more. The island is still very charming when wet, with showers spent on porches watching the weather system sweep the river. But I'm sad to have missed participating in more of the art there.

This photo is a field of Mylar flags that we (Ian, Chris, Andrea & I) watched blow furiously in the windy rain from the back porch of the Admiral's house. I don't know who made them. I like the way each reflective one is stitched to its pole in orange thread. Click here for more pics.

No comments: